CLUB ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION AND BY-LAWS
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
Fox River Hurling Club [FRHC]
Article One - NAME
The name of this organization is the Fox River Hurling Club, hereinafter referred to as FRHC.
Article Two – PURPOSE
The purpose of the FRHC is to promote the game of hurling through the establishment of a non-profit, membership club for the purpose of organized practice, team play, the development of skills at all levels and to install club spirit, fellowship and sportsmanship.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
Membership in the club is open to any individual, strictly without regard to RACE, COLOR, CREED, SEX, AGE or NATIONAL ORIGIN, who meets the following criteria:
(1) Maintains an interest in the game of hurling and the success of the club by words and actions, and possesses a complete understanding of Article Two – PURPOSE.
(2) Has not been previously expelled from the FRHC.
(3) Remains a member, in good standing, of the club and community as deemed by the majority vote of the board.
(4) Has paid the yearly dues for the club, as set by the FRHC BOARD.
(5) Does not cause or create or suffer another to bear an incident or atmosphere counter to the FRHC disregard of RACE, COLOR, CREED, SEX, AGE or NATIONAL ORIGIN.
Anyone, who through words or actions, is reported by two FRHC members to be in violation of (1),(2),(3),(4) or (5) shall be suspended from FRHC. Any person(s) suspended from FRHC shall have thirty (30) days to formally reply by letter to the GENERAL MANAGER, as defined below, for rebuttal and/or explanation. A formal hearing will be conducted at the first scheduled meeting of the BOARD, as defined below, after receipt of the reply letter. It is established that a binding decision will be rendered, concerning the membership status of the charged member at that meeting.
Article Four – AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION, BY-LAWS AND/OR ADDENDUMS
A two-thirds majority vote by the BOARD, as defined below, is required to amend the CLUB ARTICLES AND BY-LAWS.
Section One – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The FRHC shall be governed by a BOARD of Directors, hereinafter referred to as the BOARD, who are elected by the general membership at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
Section Two – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The members of the BOARD shall be drawn from the membership of the FRHC and be members in good standing. An election shall be held, by secret ballot, with the person receiving the greatest number of votes being the victor. The BOARD shall consist of the following:
Three OFFICERS: GENERAL MANAGER, SECRETARY and TREASURER whose general responsibilities are listed in ADDENDUM A and three (3) DIRECTORS whose general responsibilities are listed in ADDENDUM B.
Section Three – TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS shall be elected for a term of one (1) year. If an OFFICER OR DIRECTOR should resign before his or her term ends or be unable to complete his or her term of office, the GENERAL MANAGER, may replace that OFFICER OR DIRECTOR for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election. If the GENERAL MANAGER resigns before the end of his or her term, the SECRETARY shall assume the role of GENERAL MANAGER and organize the election of a new GENERAL MANAGER as soon as possible. The newly elected GENERAL MANAGER will serve until the end of the original term and may run for re-election at the club’s AGM.
Section Four – QUORUM AND VOTING
A quorum for the BOARD shall consist of a minimum of 3 BOARD members with at least 2 OFFICERS in attendance. Action by the BOARD must be by a majority of the quorum.
Section Five – COMMITTEES
FRHC has three standing COMMITTEES: Hurling, Membership and Finance. General responsibilities for these COMMITTEES are listed in the accompanying ADDENDUM.
Section Six – MEETINGS
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held once each year as the GENERAL MANAGER may designate with proper notice being sent to all members. Any member in good standing may attend. Additional meetings of COMMITTEES will be held as needed and determined by the COMMITTEE chair and/or GENERAL MANAGER. Although these and all meetings are open to the membership, notifying the membership at-large is not required.
Section Seven – RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the BOARD shall govern parliamentary procedure in the FRHC meetings.
Section Eight – BY-LAWS
The BY-LAWS shall be adopted for the governance of the FRHC by a two-thirds majority of the membership.
Section Nine – REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
Removal of an FRHC officer shall follow the same procedure as changing the BY-LAWS. In the event that the GENERAL MANAGER is removed, the SECRETARY will assume GENERAL MANAGER duties and hold an election for a new GENERAL MANAGER as soon as possible.
OFFICER AND DIRECTOR POSITIONS
The responsibilities of the FRHC OFFICERS shall include but not be limited to the following:
• Set overall strategy for the FRHC
• Lead efforts to revise ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION, BY-LAWS, and ADDENDUMS as needed
The GENERAL MANAGER’s responsibilities include:
• Supervising and coordinating FRHC activities
• Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the BOARD
• Ensuring the holding of the AGM as called for by club’s BY-LAWS
• Appointing, COMMITTEE chairs for the FRHC
The SECRETARY’s responsibilities include:
• Giving notice of the FRHC BOARD meetings
• Taking and distributing meeting minutes at BOARD and special meetings
• Maintaining a permanent record of all FRHC proceedings
• Tallying votes from the BOARD and general membership
• Maintaining and circulating the current ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION, BY-LAWS and ADDENDUMS of the FRHC
• Taking attendance at FRHC BOARD meetings
• Supervising the club’s annual election
The TREASURER’s responsibilities include:
• Receiving all funds paid to the FRHC
• Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
• Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
• Preparing a TREASURER’s Report on the status of the operating funds for all meetings of the BOARD, including the AGM
• Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the BOARD
• Transferring financial records to the current TREASURER
• Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping
• Preparing and filing an annual tax return, as needed
• Preparing an annual budget with the assistance of the Finance COMMITTEE
• Maintaining the club’s non-profit tax status
Directors’ responsibilities include:
• Serving as liaisons among the FRHC leadership, the membership, and the community at large
• Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
• Assisting the OFFICERS in the administration of the FRHC and in recruitment
• Attending BOARD meetings on a regular basis
• Attending club events on a regular basis
• Contributing to the work of at least one standing or ad hoc COMMITTEE
The Chair(s) for each COMMITTEE shall be responsible for submitting goals, including budgets, in writing to the TREASURER throughout each fiscal year. The financial goals are to be reviewed and rejected, accepted, or accepted with modifications by the BOARD.
The responsibilities of the Membership COMMITTEE include:
• Creating and executing strategies to recruit and retain members
• Coordinate PR and marketing efforts
• Maintain club website
• Oversee non-hurling events
• Insuring that at least one representative on the COMMITTEE attends events that are planned by the COMMITTEE
• Oversee all non-hurling equipment acquisition, sales and inventory management with Hurling & Finance COMMITTEES as needed
The responsibilities of the Hurling COMMITTEE include:
• Planning and managing all club on-field activities
• Selection of Inter-city Panel - Coach and Selection COMMITTEE has independent authority
• Running summer and winter hurling programs
• Train and organize referee staff
• Oversee all hurling equipment acquisition, sales and inventory management with
• Finance COMMITTEE as needed
The responsibilities of the Finance COMMITTEE include:
• All dues listed under TREASURER job description
• Soliciting club sponsors